To volunteer, donate or join advisory board...
STEM Advisory Board
Our Mission: The STEM Advisory Board promotes community/industry/stakeholder awareness and interdisciplinary learning to connect the classroom with the real world, prepare students for post-secondary education, foster innovation and encourage passion.
What we do
The primary objective of the STEM Advisory Board is for local business, higher education and community leaders to guide and collaborate with STEM career-themed NAF Academies by:
- Providing increased awareness of NAF Academies of M-DCPS to the local community governments, corporations, students and parents
- Help prepare M-DCPS students for college, graduation and careers of the real-world “STEM” evolving environments
- Raise in-kind and cash donations to support co-curricular student enhancements, special events, professional development, scholarships, etc.
- Encourage community participation in the NAF Academy and STEM activities; using a work-based learning approach of mentoring, hosting job shadow activities, speaking in classrooms, providing internships and other means of volunteering.
Our Signature Event
The Academy of Engineering (AOE) answers an acute global-wide need for well-trained engineers by educating high school students in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) and preparing them for postsecondary engineering colleges and careers. The AOE uses world-class engineering curriculum developed by Project Lead The Way, Inc. Its essential content is based on expertise from engineering and manufacturing industry leaders and education experts.
The Academy of Health Sciences (AOHS) addresses the critical achievement gap in STEM fields and develops a pipeline of students prepared to pursue health-related degrees and professions in one of the fastest growing sectors of the economy, including biotechnology, genetics, nursing, therapeutics, and diagnostics.
The Academy of Information Technology (AOIT) prepares students for the ever-expanding digital workplace and to the career opportunities offered in programming, database administration, web administration and other fields of study that require a strong foundation in mathematics, science, language arts and social studies.
BENEFITS OF STEM ADVISORY BOARD MEMBERSHIP
- Generate positive publicity in the community, as well as increase exposure in the market served by the company
- Lower recruitment and training costs by developing future employees local to the firm
- Create a diverse talent pipeline
- Increase interest in the industry by influencing the future workforce
- Meet corporate social responsibility
- Improve graduation rates in Miami-Dade County
- Provide an opportunity for employees to contribute to the community in a meaningful way, making use of their professional training through skills-based volunteering
Interested in becoming more involved with Miami-Dade academies?
When you volunteer locally with NAF academies, your return on investment is high. The majority of NAF students are minorities living below or near the poverty line who don’t have mentors in their lives to ignite their passion for learning or expose them to the vast career opportunities available to them. Local volunteers are able to open countless doors for students who never even knew the many opportunities which exist in Miami-Dade.
Examples of Ways to Volunteer:
- Guest speak in a classroom
- Participate in mock interviews or career fair at school
- Host students on job shadow day
- Hire a summer intern
- Give technical or industry guidance to teachers
- Join STEM NAF Advisory Board